Trip Shakespeare Reissues Official
Posted: 31 October 2014 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2014-02-23

Didn’t think I’d be the first to post this. 8^)

http://omnivorerecordings.com/artist/trip-shakespeare/

Posted: 31 October 2014 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  837
Joined  2009-06-12

That is such a jolt to see.  Thanks for the alert.

Posted: 31 October 2014 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Champion
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2009-07-09

I’ve been checking the Omnivore site almost daily, and yet ... you win, scuttler! And we all win!!! I will look forward to reacquiring these and anything else TS chooses to reissue. Studio recording of Fool of the Wicked Kind? Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Posted: 31 October 2014 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2009-06-15

I believe “Fool” is just a slightly higher-quality recording than the one that has been circulating around for years.

Now that recording of Look at the Lady.  That is simply awesome.

Signature 

Jeff

First Trip Show: Coffman Memorial Union - Octoberish, 1989

We have audio of you so-called lalalalalaloooo-ers.  And just because the audio isn’t of your faces doesn’t mean we can’t identify you. At this very moment that audio is on its way to Washington where the FBI has experts in this type of identification. If you turn yourselves in now, you may escape a Federal charge.

Pillaging Matt since 2010

Posted: 01 November 2014 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-07-07

Already ON…MY…KNEES…!!

Signature 

First Trip Shakespearience: June 13, 1987 “River Days” Kaukauna, WI. I was 16.

Posted: 05 November 2014 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2111
Joined  2009-06-08

Actually it is quite astounding!

Signature 

FlyMe2Minneapolis

Posted: 16 November 2014 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2012-03-10

Do we know if the primary material is sourced from the original master tapes and / or remastered? I have the original releases on both CD and LP, and curious if this will be more-better.

Regardless, I’d pre-ordered both release on both CD and LP.

Posted: 16 November 2014 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2009-06-15
Nicholas Renter - 16 November 2014 04:12 PM

Do we know if the primary material is sourced from the original master tapes and / or remastered? I have the original releases on both CD and LP, and curious if this will be more-better.

Regardless, I’d pre-ordered both release on both CD and LP.

From what I understand, remastered but NOT remixed.

And even if it’s exactly the same, there are 17 new tracks between the two CDs.

Signature 

Jeff

First Trip Show: Coffman Memorial Union - Octoberish, 1989

We have audio of you so-called lalalalalaloooo-ers.  And just because the audio isn’t of your faces doesn’t mean we can’t identify you. At this very moment that audio is on its way to Washington where the FBI has experts in this type of identification. If you turn yourselves in now, you may escape a Federal charge.

Pillaging Matt since 2010

Posted: 16 November 2014 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
New
Rank
Joined  2012-03-10

Remixing would be bad…but a remastering from the original tapes with minimal compression would be wonderful!

Posted: 17 November 2014 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-10-01

To Dr.Neau…It is cool that a recording of “Look at The Lady” is expected on those reissues…( Is it?)  But to me that song seems like one that was not done, not quite ready for the public, kinda clunky lyrically… When it became “Minnetonka Lady”,  it TRULY became a real, whole, complete piece. I sorta cringe when I hear “LATL” , it just seems so…not done yet.  There are a few more of those “lost” songs that I think were “lost” for a good reason, they were not quite there yet. I say this only with great great love in my heart for this band and these songs.  Compare any version of “Look at The Lady” to the “Minnetonka Lady”‘s on Matt’s Planetmaker shows in late 1993, and I think it is clear.  ( The Iowa City one; or the Milwaukee one with the long explanation of what she represents!!! WOW! )  Just my two cent’s worth, I will buy ANYTHING that they deem good enough for us to hear, always have. Always will.

Now, “Fool of The Wicked Kind” ...How could this not have been on any releases??!!?? It is sooooo incredible and dark and mysterious, one of the great great Trip tunes ever…

Signature 

( first Trip Shakespeare show August 1989, Harriet Island Riverfest, St. Paul, MN )

Posted: 15 December 2014 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Champion
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2009-07-09

JUST RECEIVED BOTH REISSUE CD ALBUMS

... and they truly are spectacular. Packaging is very nice, music sounds really great. Bonus tracks off the hook or whatever the kids say. Full of aural surprises. I’m going to attempt to wear out these CDs now. smile

Posted: 15 December 2014 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-07-07

I thought we had an understanding, Trip Shakespeare. Remember, Jane is always first and front row. I am shaky with anticipation.

Signature 

First Trip Shakespearience: June 13, 1987 “River Days” Kaukauna, WI. I was 16.

Posted: 19 December 2014 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
New
Rank
Joined  2012-03-10

Definitely remastered…just comparing Toolmaster from the original CD release and the 2014 re-release in Audacity, they *definitely* have taken advantage of the full dynamic range of the CD. Haven’t had a chance yet to listen to judge how that impacts the experience.

The colored LPs and the jacket / sleeves are very nice (so good to see a quality inner sleeve).

Posted: 19 December 2014 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
New
Rank
Joined  2012-03-10

Just compared side 1 of Applehead Man (both the ‘86 and ‘14 vinyl versions) and I have to say I’m very, very happy with the reissue. Bravo, Omnivore. Bravo.

I wish Omnivore would have handled the reissue of Veruca Salt’s “American Thighs”.

Posted: 13 February 2015 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2009-11-30

Tried A/Bing them today, but a bit tough since the remaster is much louder, so a fair comparison involves more tweaking of the volume knob than I was in the mood for.  but some of these bonus tracks, I’m like, I can’t believe these tracks were held out for all these years!  I thought I had all the rare and missing trip thanks to people on this board, but no.  Seeing DW in Philly on 2/28.