The Century Theater “Matt & John ” show last night!!  (11-07-2014)
Posted: 08 November 2014 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-10-01

Very cool, well attended… I had never been in that venue, before, or heard of it.
Matt and John were joined by Jacques Wait on electric guitar and Ken Chastain on drums and vocals.  ( Ken Chastain has often played with Semisonic as the #2 percussionist and also at the Trip Shakespeare reunions. )
John played upright acoustic bass, Matt played acoustic guitar.

Set List included:

maybe
rain/everlasting streams
my return
dreams
forgot me now
help me find the way
the lake !!
reception !!
soundwaves
little sioux city
queen of tomorrow
lulu !!!
descender
if you miss me !!!!
jill can drive !!!

and maybe 1 or 2 more that I did not know titles for, my set notes are messy…
I recorded it, I am listening to it right this second…It sounds pretty good…
The crowd is for the most part quiet and respectful of the music, which is cool.
Mrs. Braintree MUST have been there… It was really good, and the opening act was tolerable, as well.
Odd note: bassist from opening band “Fathom Lane” is Paul Bobblett, who was in Matt’s “Planetmaker” band…

Signature 

( first Trip Shakespeare show August 1989, Harriet Island Riverfest, St. Paul, MN )

Posted: 09 November 2014 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2009-06-15

You only missed “Anymore”.

Sioux City has come a long way since we first heard it at The Aster.

Signature 

Jeff

First Trip Show: Coffman Memorial Union - Octoberish, 1989

We have audio of you so-called lalalalalaloooo-ers.  And just because the audio isn’t of your faces doesn’t mean we can’t identify you. At this very moment that audio is on its way to Washington where the FBI has experts in this type of identification. If you turn yourselves in now, you may escape a Federal charge.

Pillaging Matt since 2010

Posted: 09 November 2014 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2009-06-25

I am hoping Spike and psh are working on their reports. I haven’t felt so much joy in ages.

Imagine—I feared “Queen of the Tomorrow” would be the last song. Then came “Lulu,” followed by “Descender,” “If You Miss Me” (the first time I’ve ever heard it live—I nearly wept), and “Jill Can Drive.” Gift after gift. I couldn’t believe my ears.

I’m having trouble finding language to capture it.

And wonderful, as always, to see so many Super Squaders there. And Owlface, my friend is trying to figure out a way to get me the “If You Miss Me” video—he said it’s too large to send by email. Any ideas?

Posted: 10 November 2014 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-15
ss - 09 November 2014 01:40 PM

I am hoping Spike and psh are working on their reports. I haven’t felt so much joy in ages.

Imagine—I feared “Queen of the Tomorrow” would be the last song. Then came “Lulu,” followed by “Descender,” “If You Miss Me” (the first time I’ve ever heard it live—I nearly wept), and “Jill Can Drive.” Gift after gift. I couldn’t believe my ears.

I’m having trouble finding language to capture it.

And wonderful, as always, to see so many Super Squaders there. And Owlface, my friend is trying to figure out a way to get me the “If You Miss Me” video—he said it’s too large to send by email. Any ideas?

Upload to YouTube.

Signature 

Jeff

We have audio of you so-called lalalalalaloooo-ers.  And just because the audio isn’t of your faces doesn’t mean we can’t identify you. At this very moment that audio is on its way to Washington where the FBI has experts in this type of identification. If you turn yourselves in now, you may escape a Federal charge.

Posted: 10 November 2014 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-06-15

Great show, guys.  Especially liked Maybe, Reception, Descender and If You Miss Me.

Enjoyed this new venue for music shows. Let’s see Matt Wilson & John Munson, or The Twilight Hours, or The Flops, there again!

Posted: 12 November 2014 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2111
Joined  2009-06-08

Sounds like a good show

Signature 

FlyMe2Minneapolis

Posted: 13 November 2014 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-06-15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCsVYbwu7UI

Signature 

Jeff

Posted: 16 November 2014 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-07-07

Mrs. Braintree was there. In the front row, alternating ear-to-ear smiles and nearly uncontrollable eye-watering.
Sorry I did not get to meet you, manbearpig and you too, zelda. I’ll be watching for the recording.

Signature 

First Trip Shakespearience: June 13, 1987 “River Days” Kaukauna, WI. I was 16.

Posted: 17 November 2014 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-10-01

Mrs. Braintree,I knew you were there!  You were right in front of John’s mic stand, right?  John said “I’m with Jane here” in response to something, and I knew he MUST have been referring to you.  You had on a blue/black/white stripey shirt or jacket, I was some 5 or 6 rows back from there with Mrs. Manbearpig.  I mentioned to my wife that I thought that’s who you were… I looked around for a few minutes after the show, did not see you, did you go to a band hang-out room?  I hope to complete my post-production work and get this posted, I never feel much like working on it after 10 hours on the computer and phone at work, ya know? It will happen, and soon. It turned out pretty good. I just wish they would allow open, overt recording. Maybe they would, but it’s weird to ask, I don’t want to offend them or get tossed out either! So often it just feels “safer” to remain discreet about it…So then…til later…MBP

Signature 

( first Trip Shakespeare show August 1989, Harriet Island Riverfest, St. Paul, MN )

Posted: 08 December 2014 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  238
Joined  2009-06-08
manbearpig - 17 November 2014 09:28 PM

Mrs. Braintree,I knew you were there!  You were right in front of John’s mic stand, right?  John said “I’m with Jane here” in response to something, and I knew he MUST have been referring to you.  You had on a blue/black/white stripey shirt or jacket, I was some 5 or 6 rows back from there with Mrs. Manbearpig.  I mentioned to my wife that I thought that’s who you were… I looked around for a few minutes after the show, did not see you, did you go to a band hang-out room?  I hope to complete my post-production work and get this posted, I never feel much like working on it after 10 hours on the computer and phone at work, ya know? It will happen, and soon. It turned out pretty good. I just wish they would allow open, overt recording. Maybe they would, but it’s weird to ask, I don’t want to offend them or get tossed out either! So often it just feels “safer” to remain discreet about it…So then…til later…MBP

Twilight Hours played in Omaha a few years back and I just asked Matt straight up if I could record video.  He said, ‘sure’.

So I plopped down my tripod and recorded their whole show.  It was on Dime a while back.  I would gladly reup it for you.

Posted: 14 June 2015 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  238
Joined  2009-06-08

Looks like the whole show is available on Dime a Dozen.  (thanks, Manbearpig!)

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=530609