2 of 2
Matt Plays With Big Star’s Jody Stephens @ First Ave
Posted: 22 August 2015 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-07-07

Yowch! I felt the awkwardness and offense when Danny asked him about Semisonic’s frosty hair. ugh.

Signature 

First Trip Shakespearience: June 13, 1987 “River Days” Kaukauna, WI. I was 16.

Posted: 22 August 2015 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-07

I love the drumming in Blue Elektra.

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2015 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-07

Raking Service cut?! THE HUMANITY!

Signature 

Posted: 01 October 2015 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-08-02

Matt came out during the Thirds portion and sang lead on O’Dana.  Sounded great and he seemed very humbled and in awe being up there with all the others.  They saved Thank You Friends as the finale for this part and Matt sang a couple verses on that as well.  The BIG surprise for me was during the encore, after the core band and guests had blasted through some rocking numbers off #1 Record, Matt returned to sing lead on Give Me Another Chance!  From youtube I know that in other shows Brett Harris had sang this one flawlessly, and I have to wonder who was responsible for making this happen, but Matt hit all the notes as Brett and Ken Stringfellow looked on grinning and singing harmony.  Just amazing, the musicians this event brought together.  Mike Mills definitely cut through some of the darkness and druggy portions of Thirds with some great humor and looseness.  Flanked by young Trapper and Tanner Shoepp, the shorter and whiter hair Mills jokes “we’re going back to high school”, followed by the three tearing into In The Street.  Dave Pirner and Jim Boquist sang dual lead on When My Baby’s Beside Me in a beautifully sloppy embrace (never knew Boquist had a powerful and soulful voice!).  Audley Freed made Chilton’s guitar parts seem effortless.  Original Big Star drummer Jody Stephens played throughout and stepped up front to sing some beautiful numbers.  Like Matt tweeted he’s still a monster drummer especially on the classic songs.  Turns out a lot of the equipment was loaned locally, and as Stringfellow tried thanking everyone at the end, John Munson got the final thank you for the loan of his bass.  Very memorable show.  Great seeing Ms. Braintree (and Mr.) there also.

Posted: 02 October 2015 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-07

Thanks for the write-up, “Henry”. I cannot for the life of me put this experience into words. Ecstatic screams, drool, tears, and heartbeats are the only forms of communication I could handle. What a night. The room was filled with love and awe. So glad to meet you and exchange smiles in real-time and space.

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2015 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-07

So happy this surfaced on YouTube as I didn’t take any videos. I really couldn’t concentrate whilst holding a tool of documentation….yet now I regret it! ENJOY!
Someone with audio editing skills please, it would be easy to alter it so he sounds like he’s singing, “O, Jane-ah”. Please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIiZdS4rylk

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2015 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar5HWrAOJVc

Tingles…

Signature 

Posted: 04 October 2015 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2111
Joined  2009-06-08

THanks for posting the links! It’s nice to see what I’ve been missing

Signature 

FlyMe2Minneapolis

Posted: 07 October 2015 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2111
Joined  2009-06-08

I had a strange dream last night that I was in Minneapolis for a Twilight Hours or Trip show and during a break in the action Matt saw me and came over to say Hi… and then John Munson just left and the show was cancelled….I’m trying to figure out what this could possibly mean _ perhaps I feel like I will never see a show again? But surely it cannot be…

Signature 

FlyMe2Minneapolis

Posted: 04 June 2016 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2011-04-16

I don’t know if anyone noticed that Dan Wilson played at Big Star shows on the west coast recently…

2 of 2