A new old show for you
Posted: 30 August 2015 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-08-02

Here’s a torrent upload for your enjoyment, permitting our gracious hosts allow.  The Flops, Nov. 2002 at the First Avenue mainroom.

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=538577

You’ll have to put up with some pretty loud chatting by our neighbors, apparently catching up.  Sorry, but hang in there and by track 8 or so you’ll be rewarded and enjoy the rest of the night unobstructed.

Enjoy!
John Henry

Posted: 31 August 2015 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2009-07-07

Thank you dear sir. I, of course, was at this show. Loving reliving it.

Signature 

First Trip Shakespearience: June 13, 1987 “River Days” Kaukauna, WI. I was 16.

Posted: 01 September 2015 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-08-02

You’re very welcome Jane.  My pleasure to share it with you guys even after all these years.  Sorry that I stopped trading back then and kept it to myself, but oh well.  Don’t know if there were any other versions out there.  Even if only a dozen or so download it, it’s so worth sharing, to us anyway.  It’s been great for me reliving this one as well.  A few thoughts of my own, probably obvious things to all of you - 

There’s something about the Mainroom and these types of acoustic performances that just sounds right, like the amount of echo, especially on the songs where the crowd quiets down.  For me it was the closer of Stay With You that was the standout.  Haven’t heard the TH version in awhile, but this just kills.  Even with his vocal problems that night, it’s just one of those numbers where the song and Matt’s voice just leaves you stunned.  Much like If You Miss Me, a year later at that big show.  Many other fine moments, from Steve’s stellar vibes solo on Snow Days, John’s take on Help Me Fly Away, to the trance of Blue Elektra, to the great banter.  Matt and John’s harmonies seemed so effortless and it always made me wonder how hard they worked at perfecting them, at that point in their relationship.  The crowd is large, and as always enthusiastic.  Sure, recent success of John and Dan helped fuel interest, as well as Matt’s recent work, but by showcasing the two harmonies (a third with Dan), what the guys gave us with the Flops was a taste more in the direction of Trip Shakespeare.  And what a lot of local fans loved about them.

Posted: 01 September 2015 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  238
Joined  2009-06-08

Henry, thanks for offering this recording to the world!

It’s a great open air recording.  It feels like it captured the sound of the evening nicely.

Posted: 02 November 2015 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Champion
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-12-07

Thank you, I can’t wait to hear this!  I was fortunate to see the Flops when I was 17 when they came to Madison

Also, I would love to hear any recording of Meltaway, those three songs that had been on Sam magavern’s site have teased me for years