The Twilight Hours at Driftwood Char Bar…their return
Posted: 10 March 2016 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2009-06-15

Well it appears that the first of the rehearsal shows for the new album happened last night.

Twilight Hours played at the Driftwood Char Bar in Minneapolis.

It was a short set. The only songs played were the songs were expecting on the new album, which included “Flow”. Oh, and the encore was a Cole Porter song.

And there were some changes. Matt is focusing primarily on vocals now and only picked up his guitar for two songs: “Everlasting Streams” and the solo on “Telephone”. Otherwise it was just him, a microphone and his hand waving in the air. Hard to get used to. Not bad or awkward or anything, just different.

Also, Steve has moved out from behind the kit. He’s now playing rhythm guitar and there’s a new drummer whose name I do not remember at the moment. So it appears that this point, the Twilight Hours are a six piece. As a guitarist, I like the sound of the humbuckers from Jacques’ SG and the single coils coming from Steve’s Strat. It’s a nice contrast in sound.

I think they thought it was rougher going then the audience did. I was impressed especially since they set up in in a span of 15 minutes and had no real sound check. We were just a bunch of happy fans who happened to be sitting in a bar and then your favorite band shows up to play rehearsals set. What a coincidence.

Signature 

Jeff

First Trip Show: Coffman Memorial Union - Octoberish, 1989

We have audio of you so-called lalalalalaloooo-ers.  And just because the audio isn’t of your faces doesn’t mean we can’t identify you. At this very moment that audio is on its way to Washington where the FBI has experts in this type of identification. If you turn yourselves in now, you may escape a Federal charge.

Pillaging Matt since 2010

Posted: 10 March 2016 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2009-06-25

Richard Medek was on the drums.

http://richardmedek.com/

Posted: 10 March 2016 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1337
Joined  2009-06-15

Yup.  Wikipedia backs that up.

Signature 

Jeff

First Trip Show: Coffman Memorial Union - Octoberish, 1989

We have audio of you so-called lalalalalaloooo-ers.  And just because the audio isn’t of your faces doesn’t mean we can’t identify you. At this very moment that audio is on its way to Washington where the FBI has experts in this type of identification. If you turn yourselves in now, you may escape a Federal charge.

Pillaging Matt since 2010

Posted: 10 March 2016 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
New
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-10-11

He played guitar on “Call Me Up” too. I thought he played it on “Maybe” as well, but rewatching the stream, well, he didn’t.

Did John say the album is going to be released in June?

Posted: 14 March 2016 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2111
Joined  2009-06-08

Damn- You are sooo lucky to go to these shows 😂

Signature 

FlyMe2Minneapolis

Posted: 05 April 2016 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  837
Joined  2009-06-12

The last of the secret shows/rehearsals took place last night at the Amsterdam.  The guys had apparently played there, unannounced, a few times before, but word didn’t get out to anyone I know.  In any event, the group sounded outstanding.  If you’ve been around for the last several years, you’ll know all of the songs on the new record, but for a few one minute ditties that will lead in to full songs—“butt cuts” as Matt called them (think “none of the regular rules were true…).  That said, almost all of the songs have been rearranged significantly—mostly to my liking.  Lots of guitar, lots of reaching vocals, layers of early Trip Shakespeare psychedelia, the Beach Boys, and the Dire Straits.  Much will sound great on a blasting radio in car with the windows down this summer.  And, as the seasons change and windows roll up, much will sound even better in a dark room with headphones.  This is good, multi-dimensional stuff.

Here’s what I heard:
Help Me Find the Way
Sioux City Swinger
Troublemaker
Soundwaves
Flow—this may have changed more than any other song.  Great, great guitar space in this one.
Telephone
Call Me Up
Spirit of Life/Touch My Mind (I know it as the former, but Matt referred to it as the latter)
Everlasting Streams
Anymore
Maybe

I will note that the stage had a modest painting of a windmill on the lower left corner.  Cervantes, the patron saint of quixotic endeavors, was in the room.  Those of us who have waited year after year for a record know about such hopeless labors.  BUT, hear it here:  Before the show, John suggested that preorders for the record may be activated LATER THIS WEEK.  This was not announced from the stage, so it is possible that the rest of the band (Matt) isn’t behind that idea.  But, for John to say it, we can at least be confident that the record will be in our hands soon.

It was late, it was far, but it was great to hear the music and see much of the loyal crew at long last.

Posted: 05 April 2016 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-08-02

Thanks, you guys, for the updates. Kara, I agree. And I hope there is truth to that rumor about the pre-orders. Staying tuned…

Posted: 11 April 2016 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Above the Band
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  837
Joined  2009-06-12

Well, we made it through the week with no record pre-order.  A discouraging realization with which to start the week.

‹‹ New album news      Black Beauty ››